Will a DUI cause me to be denied entry to Canada?

While many criminal offenses on your criminal record could cause you to be denied entry to Canada, the offense that will almost certainly cause you to be denied entry to Canada is a DUI, or driving under the influence charge. Because Canada takes DUI charges seriously, you could be denied entry at the Canadian border or port of entry if you have a criminal record that relates to one. 

If you have a criminal record for DUI and want to visit Canada, there is a way to enter Canada anyway. You can apply for a temporary resident permit.

Applying for a temporary resident permit

When you apply for a temporary resident permit and are approved for one, you will be allowed to visit Canada even though you are generally criminally inadmissible.

Most temporary resident permits are valid for up to six months, although this is not always the case. You may also choose whether you would like a single entry temporary resident permit, which allows you to enter Canada once, or a multiple-entry temporary resident permit, which allows you to leave and re-enter Canada several times while it is valid.

When you apply for a temporary resident permit you will be required to submit a lot of information about yourself and your criminal record to Canadian immigration authorities. You will also have to prove that you have enough financial stability to support yourself in Canada – including enough money to leave Canada – and that you will not become dependent on social services.

Another very important component of your temporary resident permit application is showing that you have good reasons to return home to the United States – that there is enough waiting there for you that there is no chance you’ll overstay your temporary resident permit and not leave Canada. You can do this by demonstrating you have full-time employment in the United States, immediate family in the United States, or property in the United States.

We are an immigration law firm that has handled many of these denied entry to the United States cases. Please phone us using the telephone number at the top of this page to speak with one of our licensed immigration attorneys so we can help you visit Canada.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.